Friday 10 September 2010


..so YEAH! HI!
My name's Zoo and this is my blog!
This should have been written two months ago but then summer descended violently on me..
You’ll notice that I sometimes tend to use two dots at the and of a sentence instead of one or three.. I KNOW it is wrong.. that’s WHY I’m doing it..
Another thing you’ll probably need to know is that this page has been set up mainly for academic reasons – need to keep a kind of diary of my research and thoughts during my last year as a Sound Art student -otherwise at this precise moment I would be scribbling in an incomprehensible calligraphy inside one of my personal diaries..
Anyway.. summer descended violently on me with the smell of punk-rock and the sound of a young girl’s voice with promises of love in her tones. These two accidents had me reflecting on how my life has been steering on all directions in the last two years from when I got back to school.
I learned new ways of listening, new ways of composing, and above all I developed a different understanding of the word ‘SOUND’ itself. It had also got me thinking of new ways of recording and spatialize my compositions. THANKS CONTACT MICS! BEYOND STEREO ALL THE WAY!!!
So what’s next..? Well, I’m pondering on my dissertation – working title “The Commercial Value of Suicide in Popular Music” – and reflecting on something that music journalist Nick Kent wrote on his biography.. something about finding your own voice. I really need to find the connection between screaming your lungs out while holding a classical guitar connected to six pedal distortion through two huge amps and recording a laundry room with huge MS mics and stereo contacts.. there’s something there but I’m not completely sure what it is yet.

Another question keeps coming back too from when I woke up this morning though.. why The Stooges’ Raw Power has been blasting off my speakers all day? But most of all.. why can’t I turn it off??

No comments:

Post a Comment