Thursday 28 April 2011

CANCAN in Tasmania!!!

It’s been a while since the last post, but catastrophe struck!!! Two of the main technical things I needed for my sound installations got blocked by custom in..Tasmania! It took a while to get through all the papers (and the damn fine) but now they arrived. The two thingies in question is a pair of Aura Pro tactile transducers - also known as ‘butt-kickers’ or ‘bass shakers’(I put a pack of cigarette next to them so you got an idea of the dimensions).

They’re fundamental for my project as from my research seems like the perfect one to shake the mountain of red coke cans. Oh yeah! I changed the name of the project from “You CAN walk (in your corporate grave)” to “CANCAN” for two reasons: first I like the new one more anyway, and second because for health and safety reasons you CAN’T actually walk (on my deathly sound-installation-grave).
I’m in contact with a carpenter, and next week we’ll try the Transducers on different kinds of wood – and maybe metal as well. The transducer will be excited by infrasounds coming from an amplifier. These infrasounds will be part of my final composition for the piece, which is a cut-up of different coca-cola adverts and some speeches from various U.S. presidents. The sound of the coke cans rattle should be then amplified using some contact mics(the red/black snake-looking things you see in the picture). here is where it gets tricky, as I’m not aware as yet of the sound resulting. I’ll try to manipulate it using some guitar pedals fx. But that’s all for now. Time is running faster than a tsunami wave but I’ll keep surfing on my see of coke cans. Signing off..


No comments:

Post a Comment