Monday 13 September 2010

memories..WHAT???

I've been thinking about memory all morning..mainly because mine is really bad and I usually tend to distort things..
Example: a friend of mine keeps telling me that he owes me money 'cause he sold one of my guitar to buy smack. well..really nice for him to do this – and then tell me .But the problem is that for what I remember I sold the very same guitar myself to another friend, who needed it as a tour back up for a similar one he has - by the way I'm talking about a sunburst Ampeg by Burns from 1963.
The only way in which I could find out what really happened would be by cross-referencing the different versions of the story consulting all the people involved, but one fact remains: something in my brain didn’t manage to store this information properly..

Another thing that intrigues me about memories is how they can be affected by the senses: a smell or a picture, a sound or a song could trigger images of past experiences or forgotten events..
This shamble of recorded data floating in my cortex’s membranes reminds me of my Tapegrinder installation – you can check it out on my audiovisual section –
I really want to explore this more and link it with my dissertation and the final major project of my course.

Glad I wrote it down you know..just in case I forget it.

1 comment:

  1. i'm getting really interested in memory and time at the moment... I think my dissertation and some of my project work is gonna be related to this.

    i got this book out of the library ... haven't read it yet but it looks great!

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Souvenirs-Technologies-Practices-Transformations/dp/9089641327/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285076260&sr=8-2

    ReplyDelete