Tuesday 14 September 2010

Suicide VS SubBass

Back in school! Woohoo!! At the moment in the library writing this while listening ‘Strumming Music’ by minimalist composer Charlemagne Palestine..
I’m in such in a good mood that I borrowed all the books available on the sociological subject of suicide. I couldn’t find anything that explores the subject of suicide in relation to popular music but I found some really interesting e-journals. I’ll have a look at this one in particular:

'I'd Sell You Suicide': Pop Music and Moral Panic in the Age of Marilyn Manson
                              -Robert Wright-

I think this is the subject that really pushes my buttons at the moment..
A plan B for the dissertation was writing on the subject of Sonic Warfare, but reading the book of the same title by Steve Goodman I had little invisible insects crawling all over me while spreading boredom and sending me straight to Orpheus’ holiday camp.
No. Really.. Some of the chapters were actually interesting but half way through it became repetitive, and I really couldn’t see myself spending the next five months researching infrasound and sub bass. I’ll have a look at the last year Sound Arts students’ dissertation – which should be available in the library by now – but I think I’ll rather writing about something that really interests me. 10.000 words is not such a big deal, but if you don’t feel the subject they could seem like a million. Relativity theory all the way I guess..



No comments:

Post a Comment